2.02.2015

An Odd Encounter

After an early morning cage diving adventure in Simon's Town, South Africa the next logical thing to consider is a journey to the rugged Cape of Good Hope. Simon's Town is a great jumping off point for seeing this beautiful terrain and I was quite excited about the day ahead.

However, after the amazing shark encounter I must admit tackling the day covered from head to toe in salt and fish chum was not ideal. Not such a pleasant thought, right? Unfortunately for me it was the reality of the day. It's odd that this only occurred to me the morning of (and so I was as prepared as I could be with wet wipes, deodorant, body spray and of course a change of clothes) but I do suppose that if you are going to spend a day reeking of dead fish there is no better place to do that than the great outdoors.
Cape of Good Hope - The most south-western part of the African continent 

















Although I would have preferred a shower, the breath-taking scenery all along the coastal Cape was well-worth the hygienic compromise. The mountainous landscape was littered with a wide array of colourful flora. We were told there was a possibility of sighting anything from mountain zebra and wildebeest to ostrich and baboons. With eyes glued to the landscape in hopes of sighting any of the indigenous wildlife that call the Cape their home, I was not disappointed; both wildebeest and ostrich made an appearance.   

Nearing our destination, we stumbled upon what I think qualifies as an truly extraordinary sight. Sure, we have all seen ostriches before, whether in a zoo or on television, but how often do you see images of an ostrich by the sea? Odd, right? Would love to hear your thoughts on this strange sight! 










    










































No comments:

Post a Comment