2.08.2014

Why YOU Should Dive with Sharks


Sometimes people ask me what it’s like to dive with sharks and why I choose to do so.  “Aren’t you afraid of them?”, is a common question or maybe just another way of saying “You’re an idiot!”.  Of course I understand where this feeling comes from as not very long ago I was the one asking the same thing.  I really enjoy answering these sorts of questions because I hope that through my little stories others will be encouraged to let go of their fears and see sharks in a different light. 

I’ve come to realize that giving in to your fears can be very limiting. Certainly a healthy dose of it can be handy from time to time but letting it control you is a mistake far too many people make. People always say that when you set aside your fears you are capable of accomplishing anything. You see, there were so many things that I had always wanted to do but my worries kept holding me back.  It took far too long for me to realize I was missing out on so many amazing experiences because I kept getting in the way of myself.  In the beginning of my diving days I constantly worried about sharks. Having never had any close encounters with them I really couldn’t justify it. So what did I do? I went looking for sharks, of course! 






Once I had a few encounters with sharks I quickly realized that in the past my imagination had gotten the better of me. I found them to be very docile and somewhat curious. For the most part they go about their day without paying anyone much attention. They cruise through the water like the lords of the sea that they are. They exude confidence but I’ve never experienced any sort of threatening behavior from them. It is an incredible feeling being in the water with them.    

I’d have to say there are neighborhoods in certain cities throughout the world that I would approach with much more caution than I do when diving with sharks. That’s not to say I am not cautious, because I am. But cautious and fearful are two different things. When you cross the street you exercise caution by looking both ways, but do you have a fear of getting hit by a car? Probably not. Otherwise, you likely wouldn’t cross.

There are plenty of things out there that can kill you. Do you live in fear of all of them or do you choose to live your life? A handful of people each year die from shark related injuries. How many people kill people every day? Do you stay indoors and lock the world out? I know your answer is no.  And because your answer is no, you can’t possibly think its rational to fear the water and the sharks that live in it.  

I love the ocean, and couldn’t imagine not going into it because of sharks. But truth be told that’s exactly what almost happened.  My fear was very debilitating and I hated that I let it control me.   
However, these days I look forward to going on dives with sharks. In fact, I am disappointed if I don’t see any. If you haven’t had any experiences with sharks I highly recommend it. All of the anxiety and worrying are the worst part. I promise it will disappear at first sight and be replaced with sheer awe and intrigue. If you have had a bad encounter with a shark, maybe it’s time to give it another chance to make a better impression on you.   And, no, not literally!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment