1.23.2014

Surprise Cameo


Last Saturday, I was lying in bed when my husband brought me a hot cup of coffee along with a fresh copy of Diver Magazine (to try to inject some life into my body).  He knows me so well.  Coffee and diving magazines get my attention!  As I was skimming through the pages I came across an image that startled me a bit.  It was an image of me.  Not the most flattering image but nonetheless I made it into a Dive Magazine! First goal of 2014, check! Lol.  I'm kidding.  Of course that doesn't count! But doesn't it?!                

My husband had to be in London for work so I tried to find something worthwhile to do while we were there.  I spent a few minutes googling events in London that week when it occurred to me that I should search 'dive events in UK'.  Sure enough, there was an expo being held in Birmingham.  Not only that, but the underwater photography speakers lined up were excellent.  So naturally, we rented a car and drove up to Birmingham for the weekend.  I got to listen to Michael Aw, Martin Edge, and Alex Mustard talk about underwater photography (and I couldn't have been happier).  Oh, and apparently I had my photo taken while doing so too!




The expo itself was really great.  I have been to ADEX in Singapore and I wasn't sure how Birmingham would compare as ADEX is pretty special.  But in my opinion, they were pretty much on par with each other.  The only difference was that the UK expo seemed more hardcore with all of the technical diving aficionados.  ADEX had a bit more of a recreational diving feel to it.  

In Birmingham, we really wanted to get a chance to try a dry suit in the tank they had set up but somehow never found the time.  A bit disappointed about that.  Will have to add that to the list for 2014! Other than the expo we got to have a look around a part of the UK we had never been before.  Based on a good friends suggestion we went to a local restaurant for some Balti curry and it was well worth the effort of going out in the pounding rain.  All in all, it was a great time in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment